Wednesday, September 26, 2018

An Autumnal Amble

It is officially autumn. 
The weather is mild, the light diffused...perfect for a walk. 

Most of the shrubs and trees are turning color and many of the berries  have been consumed.

Interesting fungus on a dead Douglas fir tree.

Snowberries - these will last well into winter as they are food of last resort - I am guessing they do not taste very good.

The blackberries do taste good - the birds, chipmunks, and deer are eating everything they can reach. 

An old apple tree in the corner of my sister's dahlia garden has some pretty fruit. 

The Vine Maple is one of our pretty fall trees.

My grandmother used to have a bouquet of Vine Maple leaves in her living room.  

And rose hips...

...lots...

...and lots of rose hips.

These are shaped like tiny tear drops.
Western Oregon usually enjoys lovely autumnal weather well into October. They are extra special days to spend outside.



3 comments:

Purple Pixie Dust said...

love the photo's how did sister do on the flower show or is it still a bit away. do you make pies from the apples in your sisters flower garden. those blackberries look delisious. hugs

Carol said...

Looks like you are having a lovely autumn out west, Beth! Here it has been rain, rain, rain! I do love the light in autumn more than at any other time of year.

Barb said...

I especially love old apple trees and the rose hips. They both say Autumn to me. My vine maple is just beginning to show color. Last year it was not colorful, I wish I know why as I bought it for the color.