Monday, August 20, 2018

Lots of Leaves


I started stitching the Wren from The Prairie Schooler's "Prairie Birds" chart.
So far all I have to show are lots of leaves!  They are oak leaves so three acorns will join them, then the bird house and finally the bird.

So what's up in Birdland you ask?
  
Lots of action up in the sky including more frequent sightings of a Cooper's Hawk.

One evening I had a group of 30-50 Vaux Swifts - that was fascinating to watch. 


They flutter like bats and look like flying cigars.

Earlier in the day a large group of Cedar Waxwings flew overhead.

Here's a juvenile Cedar Waxwing.

And here's an adult - a much more handsome bird.

Most of my Black-headed Grosbeaks are juveniles.

Even the Robins are youngsters.

I do like their spotted thrushy chests.

But American Goldfinches win for more youngsters than any other bird. 

I'm not sure what Dad is saying here...

...but he did finally give up and feed the little one.

3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

You have made good progress on the PS Wren piece, Beth. I had a chuckle over your description of the Vaux Swifts.

Terri Patillo said...

Your stitching is beautiful and I am crazy about that linen colour!

RJ said...

Your stitch is coming along well Beth. That adult bird almost looks like a cardinal in coloring. Very handsome indeed. RJ