Thursday, August 30, 2018

First Time This Summer

Design - "Red-winged Blackbird"
Designer - Bent Creek"
Fabric - 28 count R & R Mother Earth linen
Fibers - GAST - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 24 June 1998
Completed - 30 June 1998

Twenty years ago I stitched this and I still love it!
That's the wonderful thing about crafting - you have the chance to create things that will last decades.

Can you see the bird on the ground that caught my attention?

It's a warbler called a Yellow-breasted Chat.

And it is the one bird that I see each year that impresses a former University School of Ornithology professor!

The Chat has a huge and varied chatter call, thus it's name. 

This bird 'spoke' but did not use its entire vocabulary, nonetheless it caught my attention and I finally found it.

I was lucky that it popped out of the brush...

...and gave me several good looks...

...like this one!

This though is my favorite photo. I love the contrast of the bird against the backdrop of taupe teasel.

5 comments:

Mary said...

That blaze of yellow is so striking, such a beauty and how exciting for you to see him.

Robin in Virginia said...

What a beautiful bird with his bright golden yellow chest! Your little blackbird stitch is sweet.

Vickie said...

Cute little blackbird stitch.

Barb said...

What a wonderful little bird.I had a hard time seeing it in the first photo. No wonder you impress the professor. I totally agree about stitching or other craft projects.

RJ said...

What a cute little stitch...I could tell right away it was a Bent Creek. The beautiful yellow in the bird is striking and beautiful. RJ