Friday, October 6, 2017

Friday Finish - Scrub Jay

Design - "Western Scrub Jay"
Chart - "The Bird Collection - Part 3"
Designer - Heartstrings Samplery
Fabric - 32 count Wren Picture This Plus linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 14 September 2017
Completed - 4 October 2017

I think he looks pretty true to life And my name change turned out well! 

I think Beth Twist did her usual amazing job of capturing the colors of the Scrub Jay.

I know some people find jays to be pushy and bothersome, but I enjoy these noisy confident birds. 

White brow, white breast, blue head and wings, gray back.

A handsome combination.

And a bird full of life and personality!

Also full of life and personality - the Anna's Hummingbirds.

This is a young male...

...and here's an adult male.

So far all of the males while fighting with one another, are sticking it out.

I hope that continues...

But I expect a couple of the young males will end up leaving to find their own territory to defend and 'own'.

Autumn colors.

Another young male...

He thinks he is Big Stuff.

You are getting there!

11 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh Beth, this turned out so very good!!

Wanda said...

Your scrub jay is beautiful! Thanks as always for your beautiful pictures of the critters that visit your area. Have a great day Beth.

LaNelle said...

Gorgeous stitching Beth...made my Friday lovely blog have a wonderful weekend 🌻

CathieJ said...

Wow, so many pretty birds. I really like the look of those scrub jays. The stitched one is very pretty and the colors on the live jays are just wonderful.

Barb said...

The scrub jay is wonderful. Both the stitches piece and the real jays.

Margaret said...

Love your finish! And I love how the scrub jays have eyebrows!!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Such gorgeous bird photos and your stitching is so pretty!

Carol said...

Oh, I do love that finish, Beth! So glad I purchased the chart--now to find time to stitch it :) I thought I would have lots of free time having now retired--not proving to be so...

RJ said...

Love your finish today Beth. The Scrub Jay is gorgeous. These are wonderful photos. RJ

Justine said...

Those Scrub Jays are simply beautiful! Your stitched version is very true to life.

Maggee said...

Your California Scrub Jay looks just like the real ones! We have Blue Jays out here, and sometimes it looks like their back is a blue checkerboard... pretty! But noisy! However, they are usually only noisy when they are sounding an alarm that a hawk or predator is nearby, so that's fine. Here's a bit of news... someone has a Rufous Hummingbird in their yard in the middle of our state! It is a rare and notable sighting! Hugs!