Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Drumming Drumming

Design - "Nine Drummers"
Chart - "On the Seventh Day of Christmas"
Designer - The Cricket Collection
Fabric - 30 count Glen Ellyn R & R linen 
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 25 September 2017
Completed - 6 October 2017

This is a Christmas ornament meant to be finished in a pear shape, but I think it could be framed or finished as a square.  It's part of a 12 days of Christmas series by the Cricket Collection - all the charts are in print.  I chose not to use Kreinik for the red atop the bird's head and the top gold band of the drum.  IT certainly would be more sparkily with Kreinik, but I was not up to the challenge of stitching with it. 

With that finish what other birds can I feature but woodpeckers.


Here's a female Downy Woodpecker.

I'm seeing a Downy about once a week.

You can compare the Downy's general size and beak size with this larger female Hairy Woodpecker.

Longer bill and larger bird!

Only one photo this week of an Acorn Woodpecker - a male.

I did see a Red-breasted Sapsucker...

...but was not able to get good photos.

Sometimes I see two or three different woodpeckers on the same tree.
Here's a male Flicker high in the right and a male Hairy below.

Female and male Flickers.

8 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your finish, Beth! It turned out darling.

Vickie said...

Such a cute pattern.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I loved that collection by CEC when it came out. I stitched the first four and finished them in the pear shape.

RJ said...

Cuter than cute!!! I love the woodpecker stitches. Great bird photos too. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Mary said...

Beth, Love all the woodpecker photos and your stitch is great, I'll have to seriously think about adding that series to my collection. Mary

Barb said...

What a beautiful stitched woodpecker. I think I like it better without the sparkly threads!!Plus I know it was better to stitch!

A Colorful World said...

Love tat "Drummer" ornament! How cute is that! And, loved seeing the real drummers, especially the Acorn Woodpecker. We saw some in S Arizona on a trip to bird watch there a few years back, and they were very busily drumming on the guy's house! :-)

Anu said...

Hello! Beautiful woodpeckers. Great photos!