Thursday, February 20, 2020

Great Backyard Bird Count Recap

I discovered that I'd last participated in the February count in 2018.

2020's count was relatively normal.

I spotted a White-throated Sparrow a couple of times - it was my most usual bird.

I'd say all the other's were 'normal' for February such as Anna's Hummingbirds.

Though as I think about it, Bushtits are hit or miss for me - and they too showed up in force.

Other birds counted in 2020 included: California Quail,Downy Woodpeckers, Hairy Woodpeckers, Acorn Woodpeckers and Flickers.  Steller's Jays, Black-capped and Chestnut-backed Chickadees.  Robins, Starlings, Juncos, Song Sparrows, Gold-crowned Sparrows, and Towhees. I had a lone Pine Siskin show up with a small flock of Lesser Goldfinches and a small group of three Mourning Doves.

The birds that were AWOL that I might expect to see or hear once over a four day period included: Great-horned Owl, Wrentit, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Scrub Jay, Crows, Turkey Vultures, and Ravens.

In 2018 my count included a Cooper's Hawk, Pine Siskens, Red-breasted Nuthatches, and a Yellow-rumped Warbler.

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

I wonder where your AWOL birds were, Beth! Lovely bird pictures!