Friday, September 14, 2018

Woodpecker Roundup

This is the very beginning of The Little Stitcher's Bluethroat. I have enough fabric now to stitch the remaining months as they are released.

It's been a good week for woodpeckers.

We have a mullein (verbascum) that 'planted' itself and now that it has set seed (black pepper-sized) it's a magnet for my smallest woodpeckers - the Downy Woodpeckers. 

Here's the female.

And here's the male.

He explored a bit...

...then sampled some of 'bark butter'...

...and suet plugs.  You can see he's no bigger than the Towhee.

Here's a female Hairy Woodpecker...


She usually announces herself with a loud sharp "Peep!"

The male Hairy Woodpecker also made an appearance.

I don't often see a Red-breasted Sapsucker and when I do, I rarely manage to get a decent photo.

This time I got a couple of a nice ones.

I could not figure out why the Acorn Woodpecker was on this small feeder for chickadee-sized birds...

...then I remembered!

I filled it with peanuts - his favorite food.

Lastly, here's a female Northern Flicker.

She was waiting her turn at the suet feeder.

I have heard a Pileated Woodpecker, but not seen one for a few weeks.
It was a great day to see the other 5 kinds of woodpeckers all in one morning.



2 comments:

Terri Patillo said...

Woodpeckers are so much fun. We had a family of them on Tybee that LOVED our streetlamp. He pecked at it all day. PING! PING! PING! We thought he just might be insane.

Barb said...

So many wonderful woodpecker pictures! We often hear them in the woods behind our home.