Monday, September 24, 2018

Red White and Black

I picked up this L*K stitch once again. I am determined to finish the flag!
This stitch is red, white, and blue, by my header says red, white and black...
because...

On Friday morning this magnificent red, white, and black bird flew in for a good look.

It's a male Pileated Woodpecker.  He got engaged in aerial combat with a Cooper's Hawk before both large birds decided they each could hang out in their own (separate) tree.

I owe some of the clarity of these photos to the great zoom capabilities of my camera.  See the shining bright eye?

I probably had a good ten minutes with the bird before he moved on.


The red on the head - intense in the sunlight.

Working on a small hole.

In profile.

Chipping away.

See his tongue?  It is long and sticky - the better to grasp insects from inside the tree branch. 

He'd been hanging around the edges of field of vision for the past couple of days...

Today he picked a tree in the backyard.

As you can see I could not stop at one or two photos...

...there were lots of great ones.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Perhaps someday you'd consider eating at my suet  feeders. 


4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your red white and blue stitch is moving along. What fabulous shots of the Pileated Woodpecker, Beth!

RJ said...

Hi Beth! I love your red, white and blue by LKate. Flags can be time consuming but so worth it. Those photos of the Pileated Woodpecker are amazing and so beautiful. RJ

Meg said...

Wow! What a cool bird! I’ve never seen anything like it. And your stitch is really cute. Hang in there with that flag. It looks like it’s going to be really cute.

Carol said...

Oh, what wonderful photos of those regal looking birds! I have been lucky enough to see a couple in our yard--they really are huge!

Good luck with your flag stitching--that is one long flag :)