Friday, August 5, 2016

A Colorful Visitor - I Changed My Mind

Design - "August"
Chart- "A Prairie Year II"
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count Lambswool linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 22 May 2013
Completed - 28 May 2013 

I changed my mind - I am going to have a stitching theme this month.  The theme: August!


Eleven Purple Martins - wow!

That's quite a group.

One Violet-green Swallow family fledged late last week.

This house is still hanging in there.

I don't know how the other babies are getting fed, as this one is so aggressive.

Look at this banana-yellow small bird.

I heard it chirping and found it!

A male Wilson's Warbler.

See how much brighter it is than the male American Goldfinch?

These small birds migrate through most of the USA, but breed in the Pacific NW and north to Alaska and east into most of Canada and upper New England.  They nest on the ground or low in shrubs.  Then head to Mexico to spend the winter.  They are so small, it is hard to imagine them taking, and surviving such a lengthy bi-annual commute.

5 comments:

Maggee said...

How cool to see the Wilson's Warbler! What great shots! I have recently seen an occasional warbler being sighted here and there... they are starting to migrate back down south now. I sure hope the weather cools so I can try to catch some on the way back! August is a good month in my family, with lots of birthdays, so I look forward to seeing what you stitch, to possibly tempt me! :)

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a lovely little bird with such vivid colouring.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Beautiful stitch
First picture remember me cross stitch pattern of Renato Parolin

Margaret said...

Your bird pictures are spectacular. Love how yellow that tiny bird is!

Carol said...

Such a cute PS piece, Beth! And those are awesome photos of the sweet swallows. I thought the goldfinches around here were bright, but your little Wilson's Warbler is even brighter--great pictures, as always!