Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Bird and an Egg Recipe


I had such fun stitching my owl, I've decide to work on another one.
This owl is a bit totally a Scary Halloween Sleepy Hallow kind of bird.  
Oh well, he's going to be my next stitch anyway. 


The Tuesday Garden Party theme for today is a Seasonal Recipe using "November Foods".  I am stealing sharing a recipe my sister discovered several years ago, and makes for special holiday brunches, much to my gastronomic delight.

Mushroom Sausage Strata

1 lb. bulk pork sausage
10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
1 can (4 oz) mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a skillet, cook sausage, drain.  Place bread cubes in a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish.  Sprinkle with the sausage, mushrooms, and cheeses.  In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, pour over the top of the sausage-cheese- mushroom mixture.  Cover and refrigerate over night.  

Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake uncovered at 350F for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Yield: 8-10 servings.  
Recipe from: Taste of Home Dec/Jan 2003

We are lucky in the Willamette Valley of Oregon to be able to locally source the sausage, mushrooms, bread, eggs, milk, and cheeses. 
This is a wonderful holiday brunch dish.

3 comments:

Annemarie said...

That will make a very scary owl. Looking forward to it!

Yum to the recipe :o)

Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing the finish. Just copied your recipe - thanks!! I will be having a gang of 12 at my home from 12/23 thru 12/28 so these are the kind of recipes I need!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

I've made this before for a brunch and it was fantastic. My sisters like to pick mushrooms, me...not so much. :-) Thanks for sharing!