Thursday, August 24, 2023

Thursday Woodpeckers

Design - "August" - Joyful Journal
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 30 count WDW Confederate Gray
Fibers - GAST & WDW & CC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 21 August 2016
Completed - 23 August 2016

Once again the Acorn Woodpeckers have left.
All I can do is hope that they chose to return.

I've also not seen any little Downy Woodpeckers for a while.
Here's a Hairy Woodpecker and a Flicker.

A young male Hairy Woodpecker

A young female Hairy Woodpecker (based on the red on the head slowly disappearing).

A female Flicker

I've been hearing a Pileated Woodpecker most mornings.

And got to SEE one!

And hear it!  

It was early morning with a dull smoky sky, so poor light for photographs. 

Still can see the bright red head.

And the mustache - so it was a male.

1 comment:

Joni said...

I think all of your acorn woodpeckers ended up at my farm! I counted 12 separate birds busily picking up acorns and filling every nook and cranny.
The power company had to replace a power pole because they riddled the pole 3 feet down and filled it with acorns. I have picked up old cedar fencing to build false walls in my barn to keep them from destroying the actual walls. If you can't beat em, join em!
I do live in an oak savanna, it is teeming with their calls...almost exotic.
We had 6 hours of thunder/lightning/rain this morning, the air is so fresh.