Friday, August 19, 2022

Quail Sighting


Design - "Watermellon"
Chart - "123 August"
Designer - Curtis Boehringer
Fabric - 32 count Antique White Jobelan
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 4 August 2016
Completed - 5 August 2016 

For the second year in a row, there's been next to no Quail families. 

This widower with two kids is the only group I've seen in 3 weeks or so.

I think bobcats and the like have made it very difficult for the quail.

I noticed this week, that almost ALL the mature male Black-headed Grosbeaks have left the year.

They are the first to head north in the spring and the first to head south in late summer.
I still have oodles of young Black-headed Grosbeaks to enjoy for a while. 

Not an unusual bird, but a rare visitor for me.
A female REd-winged Blackbird.

I had a small group of three until a hawk flew in.

Reliables:
Black-capped Chickadee

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love the watermelon stitch, Beth! It is always sad to say good-bye to the seasonal birds. I hope the Quail return.

cucki said...

i love the stitch....yup its so sad to say bye to the changing weather and birds.
sending you hugs
cucki x