Tuesday, June 11, 2019

An Ark and a Birdhouse


Design - "A Weeping and a Blessing"
Designer - Barrick Samplers
Fabric - 40 count R & R Antique Cotton
Started - 2 August 2001
Completed - 21 October 2001

We could use some more rain, but instead we are supposed to reach 90+ today and tomorrow.

I got a couple more photos of my active Black-capped Chickadee house last Wednesday.

I decided that the babies had hatched...

...and both parents were bring food to the nest.
I've not been able to see any activity since then, I supposed I could have caught the tail end, and the chicks have fledged.

A singing Towhee.

A handsome Steller's Jay.

The female American Goldfinches are 'playing' at nesting.

They grab a large mouthful, in this case organic cotton, but then drop it to the ground when they fly to the feeder.  

The bird seemed to think that alpaca wool might also work.  The Goldfinches will get serious about nest building at the end of June / early July.

I do think they are pairing up - this male was feeding the female - a courtship gesture. 

3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a lovely stitch you featured, Beth! Not familiar with that one! I always enjoy seeing your bird pictures. Thank you for sharing them and your birding knowledge.

Barb said...

I am finally home. Even 90 up here beats 85 in humid old Alabama! That was such a pretty stitched piece!

Mary said...

Very beautiful finish. I really enjoyed all the pictures of the birds.