Thursday, August 9, 2018

An Older Bird Stitch

Design - "Wee Rooster"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Summer Khaki linen 
Fibers - WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 1 August 2010
Completed - 5 August 2010

From eight years ago - I stitched the hen too and I'll feature her tomorrow. 


The heat means that most of the bird activity occurs in the morning or evening.
Mid-day is very quiet.

One morning this week I noticed a pair of Violet-green Swallows had stopped by. 

The chipmunks and especially the Steller's Jays are harvesting the hazelnuts as soon as they ripen.

The jays are SO smart.  They find somewhere to land that allows them to 'unwrap' their treat.

See!

The Steller's Jays are also extraordinarily fond of suet cakes.

I've been watching this Song Sparrow for a couple of weeks.  The bird is easily recognizable as it has no tail feathers.  There's a Life and Near-Death story I would expect an extremely close encounter with a raptor or some other predator.

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Smart birds and critters taking the mid day off due to the heat! Your bird stitch looks good from 8 years ago. I don't remember that one.

Purple Pixie Dust said...

I love looking at all your birds. hugs

RJ said...

Your birds are showing how smart they are. Love your new bird stitch even if it is an older pattern. I'm working on summer khaki right now and love the fabric. RJ

Rhodesia said...

Lovely set of photos, Our birds are the same, too hot for them they are only out early or late. Have a good weekend Diane

Barb said...

So interesting to see a small bird with no tail feathers!! Glad it got away! That rooster makes a very cute stitched project. I like it much better that the real life one that wakes me up every morning!