Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hot Buttons, Cool Cats, Busy Birds

First I have to complain note that once again the weather was (is) HOT!  And now if I was clever I'd have a pun about stitching and "hitting my hot button".  Anyway, take a look at "Button, Button"!  I'm racing along on this baby. I just need to find some dedicated stitching time and wrap it up.

In the cool of the morning Parvati and Tom-Cat enjoy some sunshine while they target their prey bird and bunny watch.
Speaking of birds, not that long ago I mused that perhaps it was time for the Pileated Woodpeckers to become active once again...    

Ta-Da! 
On Monday morning, something caught my eye, and there it was!  A magnificent Pileated Woodpecker.  I am always amazed at just how large these birds are (16"-19" long)!

Also on view, a Turkey Vulture.  It's about time for these guys to leave and head south to Mexico and South America. 
  
The Anna's Hummingbirds stay year-round.  They go from eating nectar to becoming insectivores - very clever!  I do set out "hummingbird juice" (4 parts water to 1 part sugar) for them as well.  

My big Hairy Woodpeckers have returned.  In this photo I was impressed by the lovely layers of tail feathers.

They usually announce their presence with a loud "Peep".

Most evenings, the quail have a dust bath before heading off to bed... 
They've made several small "Bath Tubs" which they regularly use.

Another hummingbird - just because! 

This little gal is a Downy Woodpecker.  I've been seeing them in the mullein most mornings.

They also like the suet.  I had two at the same time - both females - a mother / daughter perhaps? 

If you look at the back of the bird, you can see why it is called a Downy - the white feathers along the center of the spine are very fluffy. 

For the past 2 or 3 weeks, our evenings have ended with a flight of 30-40 ducks heading out over our house.  There are a couple of sizable ponds near our property.  I think these ducks are "commuters".  They spend the day at the ponds, and then in the late evening head somewhere else to spend the night. 

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Button, Button is so cute! Lovely pictures!

MoonBeam said...

Great shots. I used to see an occasional pileated woodpecker where I lived before. They are something else, aren't they?

Bobbi

Melanie said...

Cute finish!! Love the colors in this piece.