Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cluckin' and Walkin' in July

Okay as regards "Cluck, Cluck" - I am close, so very, very close to being done that I refuse to post a "progress" picture.  Instead, I promise, I vow, I affirm, I swear, that tomorrow it will be done and I will have photographic documentation to prove it!  Stay tuned!  

Wow - it's Wednesday already...let's take a walk.

This is Yellow Glandweed (Parentucellia viscosa).  It is an non-native (some consider it a noxious weed) that grows in low elevations in damp areas.  I thought it was pretty! 

Late June / early July encapsulates the life-cycle of a Cow's Parsnip (Heracleum maximum) blossom...from vibrant white, to a pale cascade, to fat green, then brittle green/brown seed pods.

I was struck by the bright green foliage (new growth) of the Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium).

Ah thistles...this is a large group of Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense).  It grows in open areas on "disturbed soils".  On our property it is newly logged areas - a weed yes, but also the primary late summer food of the Gold Finches.  They certainly are pretty perched amongst the thistles pulling out seeds.  

.
The Big Leaf Maples have already produced their seeds for this fall.  As kids we called them "whirly-gigs".  So many different kinds of birds eat the seeds - grosbeaks, pine siskins, sapsuckers, woodpeckers, nuthatches, song sparrows, finches, and quail - it is amazing that any seeds live to become trees.  

Thimbleberry (Rubus parviflorus) is a very low growing shrub common along coastal areas.  We have lots growing on our property.  The red berries, which occur at the end of summer, are like soft raspberries.

This time of year the blossoms are lovely and the green of the leaves a treat!

The wild geraniums, Robert Geranium (Geranium robertianum) have about finished up.  This European native grows in shaded sites.

While the Nootka Roses (Rosa Nutkana) are still beginning.  They are late, late, late this year.  It is usual to be enjoying them in July.

That concludes our walk for today - I hope you are able to find sometime to enjoy being outside.

4 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Taking a walk with you has made me realise what lovely names plants, flowers and shrubs have.

Nancy said...

Lovely walk as usual!!

Linda said...

What a wonderful walk...thanks for taking me along!

Anonymous said...

Your Geranium molle is actually Geranium robertianum.
Linaria vulgaris is also a misidentification.
You might try Parentucellia viscosa instead, but I am only almost sure about the correct ID.