Sunday, September 19, 2010

Autumn...Leaving the Nest


Design - "Autumn Sampler"
Chart - "Autumn Samplers" #66
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 Count Lambswool linen
Fibers - DMC
Started - 10 November 1997
Completed - 25 December 1997
Framed - August 2010

A couple of months ago, my local frame shop had a sale, so I looked through my collection of finishes and came up with five autumn-themed pieces to have framed.  "Autumn Sampler" by Prairie Schooler is now truly finished! 


I am very pleased with the framed piece - the mat, the frame, and I went all-out and used "conservation" glass so there is no glare.

I so admire the design details too...

We have lots of big grey squirrels at work right now and sunflowers (from the seeds they've buried) are popping up everywhere.

This morning as I was out looking over my plants, I noticed that the 2nd batch of barn swallow babies had left the nest for the first time. They are so very cute, and downy, and plump...not the best fliers yet, so I've encouraged the cats to remain inside this morning. 
What an amazingly fast period of growth from egg to flight.  I found egg shells on the first Sunday of the month, now; four weeks later, they have developed enough to fly.  I've tried to imagine how many thousands of bugs their parents caught to feed these three...  

They fly for a bit then land most anywhere...

while their parents continue to chirp instructions and encouragement.

This flying thing is rather scary I think.

Well, the babies have a mild, grey day to learn to fly. 
We received 0.9" of rain on Friday, and an additional 0.6" yesterday - or more - my rain-gauge was full to the top.  I emptied the gauge, and now it is raining once again.  I think our usual wonderful autumn weather is for naught this year.

Doris came by this morning... 

with her twins...

one of whom decided it was still early...and nap-time!

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

Beth, you have such excellent taste in designs! This is another beauty that I'm going to be digging up pronto :o)
What lovely beasties, too!

Deborah said...

Autumn sampler is truly one of my all time favorite designs. Yours is lovely.