Thursday, December 15, 2022

Acorn Update

Once upon a time I used to stitch big designs!  

Make that big and bright designs. 


Design - "Merry and Bright Santa"
Designer - Sisters and Best Friends
Fabric - 28 count 18th Century R & R linen
Fibers -DMC
Started - 13 December 1998
Completed - 28 February 1999



I saw two Acorn Woodpeckers.
This guy...

And this bird.

Here they are together.

One came to the backyard to eat some suet.

I'd gotten used to seeing to guys, and I did not realize the 2nd bird was a female until I looked at my photos on the computer.

She looks like she's wearing a blue/black shawl.

The head is the clue - red, then black, then white.

And interestingly she appears to have a few red-tipped feathers on her breast.
I've never seen such a thing. 

A female bird is foundational for a successful Acorn Woodpecker colony.

Come on birds - you can do it!

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Beautiful Santa piece, Beth! Once upon a time, I stitched big pictures. Now I prefer smalls.