Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Nesting & Fledglings

Design - "Nest"
Designer - Ewe & Eye & Friends
Fabric - 30 count Pearled Barley linen
Fibers - Anchor - One strand over two threads
Started - 7 August 2011
Finished - 14 August 2011

I am sure there are active nests everywhere this time of year.
But some birds have already nested and raised their young.

Monday evening, I watched a group of three young Lesser Goldfinches as they fluttered, and chattered, and generally pestered the living daylights out of their father.

There's a fluttering fledgling on the left and Dad Bird is in the middle with his back to the camera with another fledgling on the right. 

Dad and the youngsters.

I think this is my favorite photo of the series.  Dad is off to the right - trying to create some space - while the three fledglings on the left clamor for food and attention. 

They'd move closer to Dad... 

Dad would move branches...

...and the young ones would cluster close by once again. 

I love posture and the flapping wings. 

Dad held firm and did not feed them. He did fly to the feeders several times to show them where food was available.

3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Beth, I love your Nest stitch! What terrific shots of the Lesser Goldfinches! It was fun to see Dad's response to them.

MTBrx said...

Love, Love, Love your blog! I love all things stitchy and feeding my birds - a perfect combination!

Barb said...

It never ceases to amaze me how good the parents in nature seem to be. I often find them better parents than we humans!