Friday, May 31, 2019

Get Back on Track

I need to get back on track and get stitching again.  Last year in my "Optimistic Stitching Plans for 2019" I could see myself stitching one of these birds every month - or at least one every couple of months. Now i'm approaching the 6th month of the year without even one finish in this series.

Back to the backyard birds...
The Starling are beyond annoying so I've changed up how I'm presenting suet.
I want the little Downy Woodpeckers to be happy.

I brought out an upside down suet feeder.

I've only had one Starling figure it out, but both the Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers are okay with it.

I've also left up one 'regular' suet feeder for the Flickers and Acorn Woodpeckers - though this shows a Downy using it. 

Hairy on the left - Downy on the right.

This is the most disheveled and dirty woodpecker I've ever seen.  I don't know why the female Hairy Woodpecker's feathers are dingy and messed up. She probably has a story to tell. 

This young male Acorn Woodpecker is quite dashing.

Feathers all clean and glossy.

Red and orange and gray and taupe and black.

Stripes and solids and polka dots.


There's a lot going on with the feathers of a male Flicker!

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your bird stitch is looking good, Beth! Good for you on figuring out a way to discourage the Starlings! That "dirty" and "scruffy" looking female looks like she has through a storm. Enjoy your Friday!

Barb said...

That stitched bird is so pretty!!