Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Response Was Overwhelming!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to weigh in on the Cedar Waxwing's tail.  The response was overwhelmingly in favor of changing the last row to yellow.  I orginally tried DMC 422 but decided it was not bright enough.

So here's DMC 726 - I think this is truer to the bird. 

He does too, so he's happy now...

...everybody is happy now!

Just when I thought we could take down our 'Watch out for baby quail" sign...


We have several young California Quail again.

Much, much smaller than all the other birds.

There's a group of two youngsters who appear to be hanging out on their own, and then this group of three with their Mama Bird.

She looks to be doing a good job.

I am now seeing White-crowned Sparrows every day.  They are one of my Winter Regular birds.

At first I thought this young Robin was a fir cone, but upon further investigation...

We looks very newly fledged to me.

This bird was my Big Excitement Dancing Up and Down on Sunday morning.
He's a male Common Yellowthroat. 

You'd think I'd have seen anything named 'Common' long before now...

...but no!  He is a new Yard Bird, new County Bird, and new State Bird for me!

Also on Sunday morning I suddenly realized that I was hearing the weird and haunting call of several Varied Thrush.

I was able to locate this female and snap off a couple of photos. These birds disappear deep into mature forests to raise their young, so it is by far more common to see them in the fall and winter when they reemerge.  If you are interested, here's a link to their Typical Voice. Take a listen, it is very different from any other bird you've heard.   

8 comments:

Mary said...

HOw exciting to get a new bird to your feeder and I like the waxwing with the bright yellow wing tip now too!

MaryO said...

Wonderful post and pictures! The yellow choice is perfection!
MaryO1230

Vickie said...

Well done Beth! Love your pictures today!

Natureluvr57 said...

I'm new to your blog via Beckisland Flosstube. I came to be inspired by cross stitching but I love the flowers and birds too. Looking forward to your next posting.

Kristen said...

You chose well, Beth. Great finish!

Barb said...

That common Yellowthroat is beautiful!! Yes, the brighter yellow is just right for the tail of the Waxwing.

RJ said...

The brighter yellow looks perfect. The birds today are quite beautiful and as you always get the most perfect photos. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Maggee said...

I LOVE the Common Yellowthroats! I think I have seen the last of them tho... not many around now. Not sure if the migration started naturally, or the high winds and storm offshore blew them away! Hoping this week will be fruitful again... makeup week! That robin does look brand newly fledged! Kinda late?