Friday, September 29, 2017

Rat-a-Tat-Tat

Well Rat-a is done anyway if not 'tat-tat' quite yet. The chart calls to use Kreinik for the red head of the bird and a yellow band on the drum.  I really do not like working with Kreinik so I think I'll stick with DMC for everything, though Kreinik does add a nice glittery effect. Sigh...decisions.

While I'm pondering, here's a nice big, glossy black Raven.

The Acorn Woodpeckers aren't the only ones stashing acorns.

The Steller's Jays are caching nuts too.  

My male Lesser Goldfinch is much brighter than his American Goldfinch bretheren.

Here's a male House Finch for a small pop of color.

My first photo of one of my Winter Returnees - a Fox Sparrow.

The White-crowned Sparrows are back in numbers...

I think they are prettier than the...

Golden-crowned Sparrows...

Though I supposed you disagree! 

I'm seeing more and more Juncos...

They look like sweet birds, but they fight amongst one another.

Wow!  Look at this gathering of Cedar Waxwings, with a Flicker on the top right to make it interesting.

I expect this female Western Tanager is a migrant - just passing through.

She caught a bite to eat...

...so stopped for a quick lunch.

She is rather dull looking - maybe a young bird?

I wonder how many more migrants I'll see before it ends in mid-October.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I always look forward to seeing the return of some of the seabirds. There is a black and white duck that always comes back each Fall. I think Kreinik is VERY hard to work with. I use it sparingly!!

Maggee said...

I am not enthusiastic about kreinik either... but better than DMC shiny ones! Juncos haven't been seen until after winter REALLy sets in around here--like after a snow! I hope to blog soon, and share all the sparrows I have seen! But it is definitely winding down... sad face...