Monday, November 8, 2021

An Encounter at Dusk

All the snowflakes are done. I've started the robin's red breast. There are some berries to stitch and this piece will be finished.
 

I had a rather exciting encounter Friday as day turned to dusk.  I have a 1/10 of a mile loop that I walk around the front of the house on the driveway with our deer fence on my left.  I completed by first lap and was about 1/2 way through the second when I was compelled to stop and look up at a post on the fence.

This is what I saw no more than 3 feet away!

It's a juvenile Barred Owl!  Quite a large bird. I slowly backed up then ran to the house and grabbed my camera.  The Barred Owl was still there when I returned.
   The extra long tail is characteristic of a young bird. IT acts as 'training wheels" for the youngster making it easier to fly and to stop. 
It was amazing to have been so close to an owl - I was running on adrenaline for a good 30 minutes after this encounter. Something I will long remember.    

   

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your stitch is looking so good, Beth. What wonderful pictures you captured of the juvenile Barred Owl! Perhaps you will see him again!

MaryO said...

How wonderful! I know we have owls here, but have not seen them. Great photo!👍

Darlene S said...

Oh my how exciting and lucky to be so close to a Barred Owl and that he stayed around long enough for you to go get your camera and take a picture of him. Gorgeous bird and very healthy looking. I hope he stays around your home for a very long time. Very special Beth. Thanks for sharing.

Jeannine520 said...

Wow!!! What luck! When I find myself with a special sighting without my camera I find it hard to make the decision whether I should run for the camera or just stay still and enjoy it while it's in front of me. When I run for the camera it rarely works out. When I stay I stand there and think "I think I had time to get the camera!". I think we all do that. Congratulations on your lucky owl!!

Barb said...

What a special event!!! Lucky you!