Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Wonderful Waxwing

Design - "Cedar Waxwing"
Chart - "Birdsong I"
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count Lambswool linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 19 September 2017
Completed - 21 September 2017

I was impressed with how life-like the very small stitched Cedar Waxwing is. Black mask, head-crest, and red 'wax' dots on the wings. I'm thinking of changing the bottom 3 tail feather stitches to bright yellow.  What do you think?

I know what you think!

The other day I was surprised to see my Ravens sharing a tree with a young Turkey Vulture.  They are almost as big as the vulture. 

The Ravens are very affectionate.
They touch bills...

...and talk to one another.
The bird on the right is much larger than the one on the left.
Female and male?  Parent and child?

After recent rains, the Robins returned.

Black-capped Chickadee

Purple Finch

Molting male American Goldfinch

An adorable Red-breasted Nuthatch.

He comes to the peanut feeder most every day.

He is very inquisitive.

You have to admire anyone who can eat upside down!

Crazy Quail Days!  I counted 86 the other day!

The young quail are old enough now that I can tell who is a female and who is a male.

Female and male.

Male and female.

Two males and a female.

Bunnies and quail together...

This combo never fails to amuse me.

17 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh yes, I think a little yellow on the bottom will be great Beth!
I like those Raven pictures.

Mary said...

Yes, I agree with the bird, change the bottom colors to yellow! Love the bunny and quail together, the turkeys and deer hang together in my yard. Mary

MaryO said...

Yes to the yellow + love the pics!

Kristen said...

Another yes to the yellow!

Robin in Virginia said...

Sweet finish, Beth! And yes to the yellow!

Annie with the ducks said...

I agree change the last 3 to yellow.

Maggee said...

CERTAINLY, change to yellow for the Cedar Waxwing tail! I will check out the smalls from Birdsong II this week, and maybe stitch one or two! Forgot about them! 86 Quail---wow!! Love the first picture of the bunny and quail... so adorable! I love seeing all the feeder birds at this time when we are between seasons and migration. Gotta get a picture of a Red-breasted Nuthatch this fall!! Hugs!

Frances said...

I have all the PS charts, (nowhere near all are stitched! haha) and I really like this one! I think the yellow on the tail would finish it perfectly!
Wow--86 quail! That's quite a group! I remember many years ago, when my son was about 6, we got our first Canada Geese here in MS. We would feed them bread (which I now know is a no-no) and watch them. We had about 62 one time, and that was a huge group!!!
I love the quail and bunny photos!

Hootin Anni said...

Hi Beth....I'm stopping here to visit from your comment link on Maggee's blog.
I am an avid birder, and I enjoyed your wonderful photos.
My birding blog is I'd Rather B Birdin'...and I invite you to stop by anytime. My personal blog is Hootin' Anni's [linked with this comment].

Oh and I must say, I really enjoyed your cat images on the sidebar also...I am partial to cats.

http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com

Mary Howell Cromer said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the young Quail! I wish I could see some, which I know are around here, just so difficult to come upon~

Gayle said...

The Ravens---neat stuff.

Barb said...

I really enjoyed the photo of the bunny and the quails. I know that the crows communicate but did not know much about the ravens. That is a great little stitched piece and, yes, it did a good job charting the cedar waxwings.

Anu said...

Hello! Wonderful serie of birds and great photos.

Justine said...

Great photos Beth as usual. I really enjoyed reading about the ravens. The Nuthatch looks funny upside down, it's amazing what they can do to get food!

Ida said...

What a great selection of birds. I agree the Bunnies and Quail together were so fun. Also I love the feathers on the Waxwing.

Carol said...

What a handsome bird the Cedar Waxwing is and I think he would love a bit of yellow on his tailfeathers. Not sure I've seen this one stitched up before--it is very pretty!

A Colorful World said...

What a wonderful collection of fascinating birds! I really love the rabbits and quail together...how cute! That red breasted nuthatch is wonderful! great post.