Thursday, October 7, 2021

Changes

I worked on the reindeer with the new skein of Hickory Sticks - am not thrilled. The dye lot is enough different that all my eye sees is the change on the hind leg.

I am enjoying lots of Downy Woodpecker activity.

I often have a male and female at the same time.

Here one zooms in as the other watches!

All of my photos seem to be of the male.

Eyelid closing.

The woodpecker tail feathers are very strong and stiff. 

They used them to help balance.

I referred to changes in the header.  And sadly at the end of September, I became aware that my beloved Acorn Woodpecker colony has moved on after all these years.  I cannot come up with any particular reason for the change, as best I can tell their granary tree is upright and still has lots of stored acorns and peanuts.  They were such social, noisy birds, and so have left a big quiet gap in the sounds and calls that I'm used to hearing.  I miss them.  


2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh Beth, I am sorry your Acorn colony has moved on. Maybe they will return down the road. Your deer piece is looking good. I have some skeins of Hickory Sticks that I would be happy to send your way. Let me know!

Lisa B. said...

How sad about your Acorn colony. I wonder why.

I think your deer looks lovely, but I, too, have had similar problems with overdyed threads. It's one of the reasons I am not going to use them anymore. I really wish designers would let us know how many skeins of a thread color we should buy for a specific project, especially if they are recommending overdyes. Anyway, I'm going to use DMC from now on.

Love all your photos all the time.

Lisa B.