Monday, October 11, 2021

And Another One

 

Time to stitch an owl!


As the seasons change...

...one of the rewards is finally seeing a Varied Thrush.

They have a rather haunting song, and it is often something I heard early in the morning in September and into winter.

Thus far I'd not seen a bird.

On Friday afternoon I heard one, and looked around with little hope of seeing it, but I located it far atop a 2nd growth Douglas fir tree.

It's a relation to our American Robin - both birds are members of the thrush family.

They do feed on the ground, so birders here learn to look closely at groups of Robins to see if there is a Varied Thrush or two among their numbers. 


3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a pretty bird! Looking forward to seeing your new start!

Darlene S said...

Silly me, as I didn't realize the Robin is part of the Thrush Family. I will have to pay more attention and look for the Varied Thrush, when I'm in the PNW again. You've also inspired me to pay more attention to bird sounds in the evening vs morning or mid-day. Thank you. Beautiful bird photos.

Barb said...

A very pretty bird!