Friday, June 11, 2021

Bee Skeps and Acorns

 

Design - "Bee Skep"
Chart - "June"
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count Lambswool linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 15 May 2013
Completed - 20 May 2013

I think, I think I may have three Acorn Woodpeckers.
I saw three birds on Tuesday morning, but could not ID their sexes.

Then later this male came by.

Note the bright red eye.

The next day I spied another male Acorn Woodpecker.

Eye color?  Blue!

Blue eyes are generally indicative of  young bird.
So I think I now have two males and one female.
Stay tuned!


2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

They are handsome! Lovely PS stitch!

Darlene S said...

What excellent photos of a Acorn Woodpecker. I had absolutely no idea how to tell if it is a male/female, nor young. I really appreciate those type of tips. Great way for me to learn, but I also thoroughly enjoy your photos, bird insights, as well as inspirational cross stitch.