Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Little Birds

I'm stitching the last of my new bird charts, a Blue Tit, by The Little Stitcher.  I expect that she will release a new chart for May soon, and then I'll do that one as well.

Let's take a look at some of my little and not-so-little birds.

First up a not-so-little bird - a Purple Martin.
This photo leaves much to be desired, but you cam tell it is a Martin. 

Purple Martins have a really distinctive 'liquid' song and for the past few days I'd been convinced that I was hearing them, though I could not find the birds.  On Saturday I finally found this group of four.

And now on to the little birds like this Pine Siskin.

I am still seeing big groups of Pine Siskins...

...but they are slowly being supplanted by American Goldfinches.

It's great to have these bright yellow birds back again.

Their numbers are increasing.

And so is the morning chorus - with the always reliable Song Sparrow belting one out.

While it appears that my Bluebird couple has left the area, the Black-capped Chickadee pair remains hard at work.

Just yesterday I watched them working on their nest in the Marjolein Bastin birdhouse.

They are taking small breaks to eat a sunflower or peanut or two.  Have to keep up their energy!

7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I am looking forward to seeing your next bird stitch come to life, Beth. I hope your Bluebird pair return to your yard. What great shots you shared this AM!

Justine said...

I love blue tits - we have several that visit our bird feeder.

Barb said...

So many beautiful photos! I always enjoy the pictures of the birdbath!

Frances said...

I like the chickadees! And the birds in the fountain are so cute!!

Maggee said...

Oooh... a Blue Tit! I look forward to seeing that one stitched, for sure! Meanwhile, the 'regulars' are great to see... Sometimes different than mine... like the Chickadees. Plus I've had Goldfinches here for quite a while already. We are looking forward to Purple Martins around here... not at MY house, but in the nearby parks and such! Hugs!

cocoya said...

What a fantastic post! Love it!
Royal1688

Carol said...

I spotted my first bright yellow goldfinch yesterday--such a welcome sign of spring :)