Monday, March 30, 2015

Wonderful Woodpecker Weather Weekend

  

We had such a lovely weather (71F on Sunday) that I spent most of weekend outside, and do not have much to show with my cross stitching.  I have made a small start on "Gentle as a Lamb". While the word "Gentle" looks black, it is in fact navy blue.

I was not the only one who enjoyed our unseasonably warm weekend!

It turned out to be good weather for bird watching too.

Nice weather if you've booked a long flight north!

And good weather to warm up those wings before taking flight!

I've been putting out stale bread for the jays.

Both the Stellar's and the Scrub Jays like stale bread just fine.

I've had this male Sapsucker stop by the backyard feeders for three days running. 

Here's a Mystery Bird.  I think it is some sort of Warbler.  A female Yellow Warbler or Wilson's Warbler perhaps.

My male and female Lesser Goldfinch came by Sunday evening.

Still waiting to get that elusive good clear photo of the male.

And Sunday evening I was rewarded when not one, but two Pileated Woodpeckers flew past the backyard and lit on a tree nearby.

I expect the two birds were a pair - male and female.  Dare we hope for baby Pileated Woodpeckers?  Wouldn't that be awesome!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I've been hearing a woodpecker around here recently -- quite loud and steady knocks. I wonder if it's a pileated. never see it, just hear it.

Love all the pics as always. I want to see the gentle lamb appear. :D

Maggee said...

That WOULD be awesome for them to have a baby Pileated!