Monday, October 14, 2019

Mid-October Sightings

Here's a Blast from My Stitching Past!
It is even stitching using DMC Flower Thread!  Can you even buy that anymore?
And sadly, Curtis Boehringer is deceased.

Design - Jack-O-Lantern Sampler
Designer - Curtis Boehringer
Fabric - 32 count raw Belfast linen
Fibers - DMC Flower Threads
Started - 19 August 1997
Completed - 1 September 1997

This might be an interesting fall / winter. 

If you look closely, amongst the flock of American Goldfinches, there are a couple of Pine Siskins.  One is sitting on the feeder on the right - on the bottom right perch of the feeder.

There are two Pine Siskins on the feeder on the left.

They are an eruptive migratory species from the north of Canada.
Some winters they come quite far south in large numbers. 

Last winter we did not have any in the Willamette Valley, this year it looks like we might. 

They have a small thin, sharp beak and bright yellow wing bars. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

I have no lack of Juncos - I counted over 14 birds Sunday morning.

Photo from Wikicommons

I also had my first, brief sighting this fall / winter of a Townsend's Warbler. This is only my second backyard sighting of this bird.  Isn't it lovely?  I'm hoping it becomes a Winter Regular.  

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Your feeders are so busy! I love how you know so much about birds and their migratory behavior. I learn so much from you!

Robin in Virginia said...

You might be able to find random lots or singles of the DMC flower thread, Beth. I liked using it when it was available. Your Curtis B. piece is adorable. What fabulous bird sightings you have had! That Townsend's Warbler is striking!

Barb said...

Oh my goodness, that Warbler is a beautiful bird!! That is also a very cute stitched piece.