Friday, November 4, 2022

Quail Gathering

Design - "A Year in Chalk" - "November"
Designer - Hands on Design
Fabric - 30 count WDW Gunmetal linen
Fibers - GAST - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 9 November 2016
Completed - 10 November 2017

Slowly but surely, the quail covey is growing.

After only having 2-3 pairs this spring, I've counted upwards of 14 birds.

Still a long way from the 30-50 birds I've often had in the fall / winter.

But each young bird is a chance to further grow the group.

They remain wary, with good reason.

I now have a Sharp-shinned Hawk, as well as this Cooper's Hawk in the area.

I think there are two to three small groups that have melded. 

Each is led by 1 or 2 adult male birds.

They are easy to spot among the young birds.

I hope everyone can stay safe.

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your November stitch by Hands On Designs, Beth! So happy to see the increase in your quail population.