Friday, July 26, 2019

New Stash

I'm close to finishing up the last of the PS birds, so it's timely, almost necessary to have some new items to stitch, right?  The Heart in Hand monthly Square Dance series is currently the leading contender. 

Monday was a special day for birds.  I spied to large white pelicans slowly drifting by overhead.  


I was frustrated that this turned out to be the only photographic 'proof' of the fly-by!

But the return of the purple martins made up for it.

I think this is at least the third year that a post-fledge family has chosen to spend several days here.  See the bug in the mouth of this handsome adult male?   

My best count is that this is a group of five - two adults and three youngsters.

There's lots of chattering...

...and graceful flying.  The purple martins are fearless.  I've seen them take on band-tailed pigeons, Steller's jays, and a hawk.

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Lovely new stash you received! Now that is fearless taking on a hawk!

Barb said...

Great new stash! I will have to check the purple martins near our house. We haven't been to that area for a bit!