Wednesday, March 6, 2019

One Week Later

One week later it looks as though we are living in Montana or Michigan rather than western Oregon.

While temperatures have reached 40f during the day, the lows have been really low - 17f Monday morning.  The big piles of snow close to the house were created when the snow on the roof came down in a series of mini-avalanches.

Looking at my potting bench, springs seems a distant hope.

A neighbor plowed our driveway, but created a big snowbank in front of my sister's garage door, so she's had to drive my mom's car. 

There's a small bank of snow in front of my greenhouse too.
I'm do thankful that with a generator I has able to heat the greenhouse or otherwise I'd have lost all the plants to the sub-freezing cold.

The heavy, wet snow did break the top off this ornamental tree much to my mom's dismay.

Moving around to the front of the house, there's still one patch of snow up on the roof. 

I think more snow falls off roof in this area than anywhere else.
While I lost one branch on this maple, otherwise it escaped the roof snow.
Underneath this 4' pile of snow is my large fountain. I've joked we should take bets on the date the fountain peeks out of the snow and the date the last of this snow disappears. 

As you can see, it is still a challenge to get around outside.

But this bird seems to say that spring is not far away after all.

3 comments:

Rhodesia said...

Wow that does look chilly!!! Keep warm, Diane

Robin in Virginia said...

Just one word - wow! I hope you don't lose power again and you find no other damage. Super pictures of the snow, Beth!

Vickie said...

Well, that was exciting for you all. How helpful of your neighbor. Thank goodness for the generators. What a beautiful home you have!!