Friday, December 16, 2016

Storm Decima Lived Up to Her Name

Storm Decima poured freezing rain down from 6:00am until 9:00pm on Thursday. We lost power at 4:00pm and lost our internet at 9:00pm. We do have a generator so have hot water, the fridge and freezer can run, and we can use the microwave and stove.

Even the grass is encrusted in ice. 

When I was in college in the late 1970's/ early 1980's, Portland, Oregon has a series of ice storms, but I do not remember anything as devastating as this.  

Bracken fern with icicles.

Buds - spring's promise - now ice covered.

Everything ice an ice sculpture.

You could not create anything so pretty. 

Teasle.

Blackberry vines.

Big Leaf Maple.

Here's the view from the back patio.

And off to the east.

The Douglas Fir are lost branches, but but for the most part while they lean, they are still standing.

The days are cold and foggy. So the ice has not melted.

I can't help but think about the birds and the critters.

Can you image how cold it must be to perch on a tree like this?

I am putting together a few posts today (Sunday 12/18) at my brother's house, but I will not be able to respond to comments until I have internet again.  It appears that we will not have power or internet until the end of this week.  We are practically pioneers!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

OMG, Beth! Still no power? I'd hoped since I saw a post from you that your power was back. The pictures are very pretty, but to me they just show how bad this storm was for you. I hope you get power back sooner than predicted. Take care.

Vickie said...

Gorgeous, but POWERFUL! Keep warm my friend!

Maggee said...

Wow! I am behind in reading posts... again... so... you may be fine by now. Hope so! Even tho those are gorgeous pictures, I also wonder about all the birds and animals too! More later! Hugs!