Saturday, April 26, 2014

Saturday Plant Plans

We're supposed to have a break in the rain this morning.
I need to work with my plants and see what has survived and what needs to be replaced.  I lost lots of plants this year with our two unusually cold spells in December and February.

While I'm doing that...
The cats will take a Bunny Census.

Aren't these two just the cutest ever?

Remember how I said some critters like dust baths?

That's what this one is doing.
He's rolling in the ashes of an old burn pile.

On the bird front I've been neglecting my Steady Regulars.  

House Finch

A pair of Chestnut-back Chickadees

Chestnut-backed Chickadee closeup

I had a small feeder in this Japanese Maple.
After the Band-tailed Pigeons swarmed it, I gave up and took down the feeder. 

One of my male Downy Woodpeckers. 

A male Orange-shafted Flicker.
You can tell by the state of his bill that he has been looking for bugs in the muddy ground.  Now it must be time for dessert at the Suet Bar!

And yes, there is a Chipmunk lurking in the woodpile!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Love seeing the birds and wildlife you have around you. And cats watching chipmunks. lol!

Melody said...

I bet the cats go nuts with chipmunks in the woodpile. I know ours would! Hope you have a great weekend!!

cucki said...

Aww such a sweet kitty xox
Pretty birds xx

Susan said...

Hope there wasn't too much that needed replacing. We don't have chipmunks but I remember my mum's cat chasing them up the drainpipe. Is the suet in the photo of the chickadees available nationwide? It looks like it would be perfect - has bits of things for everyone.

Wanda said...

Beth,the bunnies are too cute! What amazing close up of the chestnut back chickadee! The orange-shafted flicker is stunning! Hopefully the chipmunk stayed hidden in the woodpile. Our cats are endlessly fascinated by them - so far this year, we have had 5 at one time.

Catherine said...

Such sweet bunnies! And the pic of the doves swarming your feeder is amazing! You kitty looks exactly like one I had years ago ~ Sandy....she was such a faithful friend.

Maggee said...

Seeing the pigeons reminded me that the next in our gutter is no longer for the House Finches... dang dove took it over! If it was not so darned high up, I would evict them! That is just too rude!!!