Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Cold Temperatures = Reindeer Weather

Design - Rudolph
Chart - "Nordic Holiday" #191
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 25 count white evenweave
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 29 November 2013
Completed - 1 December 2013 

Given how cold it is (19F), I wouldn't be all that surprised to see a reindeer!  

Here are some photos I took yesterday as our cold weather began to move in.

I had a large group of Quail in the backyard for most of the afternoon.

The Steller's Jays gorged on peanuts.  In cold weather the birds need all the calories they can get.

I'm bringing my hummingbird feeders at night so they do not freeze solid.  I'll put one outside about 7:00am and then rotate it out every few hours so that the birds always have access to the sugar water.  I sure admire the fortitude of the Anna's Hummingbirds.  It is remarkable that such a small bird can withstand temperatures in the 'teens'.  

This is a female Anna's Hummingbird.  She has a red throat.

And here's a male Anna's Hummingbird. Weirdly his beak seems much shorter to me.

He not only has the red throat, but his entire head flashes shades of fuchsias, ruby and red when the light hits it just right. 

Yesterday I moved the last of my plants inside the garage and shop - with the able assistance of my Mom.  I emptied the birdbaths and fountains.  Then my Dad helped me construct a temporary additional covering for my greenhouse.  This old blanket will help to hold in the heat the two light bulbs emit.  It looks rather tatty, but I am hoping it will do the trick and keep the plants inside safe from sub-freezing temperatures.

Late Tuesday afternoon the sky turned dark and ominous. As night approached a sleety icy rain fell. The roads Wednesday morning could be very interesting! 

12 comments:

Giovanna said...

Cute finish, and lovely stitching - I might have to get this chart now :-) And thanks for the bird pictures - I always associated hummingbirds with warm tropical weather, now I know better. What sturdy little creatures.

Vickie said...

I too am amazed at the hummingbirds in that weather!! Wow!
Take care. Icy roads are not a joy.

Margaret said...

Yikes! So cold! And yes, the hummingbirds in that weather -- I thought they would leave such coldness! Hope your plants survive in the green house. Love that reindeer finish btw -- I need to get that booklet.

Catherine said...

Hope you are staying warm! You are an angel to those birds ~ helping them survive the cold temps!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I just discover your blog thanks to a lady who came on mine and gave me your address. I just spend a wonderful moment lurking at your pictures (nature and cross stitch).
Would you allow me to register your adress on my blog ?
Thank you for the journey !
Warmest thoughts from France.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

We are getting hit tomorrow! I hope that your plants make it. I think it looks good what you've done to help them. Your birds...I always learn something new about birds when I visit you :)
And I'm keeping my eye on the Turkey Vultures to see if they stick all winter. So far, still residents.

Melissa said...

Rudolph is cute! I must find my chart too!

It's colder here as well but probably not as cold as where you are right now. Snow tires are coming on this morning so we will beat the snow (if any comes our way)!

Cute hummingbirds!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I hope none of your plants succumb to the cold. The little hummingbirds look so delicate - poor things having to cope with such cold weather. We're due to get it pretty bad early tomorrow morning.

Carol said...

Oh, those poor cold hummingbirds. I sure hope it warms up soon for you, Beth. Congratulations on your cute PS finish!

Pam in IL said...

Rudolph is so cute! I hope all your work to keep your plants from freezing works. The cold has moved in here now too.

Barb said...

I love that little stitch. I hope all the birds will stay warm.

Maggee said...

We have really cold rain today...about 34 degrees. Good day to read blogs, make cookies, make ornaments for work, and decorate the second tree upstairs. Sorry about the last comment, calling the bird pheasants instead of quails. You have done plenty to preserve everything for next year. Hugs!