Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hummmm...

I had every intention of posting a Wednesday Walk today, but yesterday it rained - hard - from 9am until 1pm or so.  Then it was time to pick up the cats from the vet - so no opportunity.

Instead we'll have to make due with some hummingbird photos.
In an earlier post I said I had both Rufous and Anna's.
I've now changed my mind - every bird I've seen lately is an Anna. 
As you can see in the collage, the birds like sedums, salvias, fuchsias and agastaches. 


The Black and Blue Salvia is a favorite.

Here a bird perches atop a spent branch...

...and stands guard so that no one else can partake.

The plant is large enough to easily accommodate several birds though that rarely happens.

This one is in 'full battle mode' with its ruby throat ablaze. They certainly are feisty little things!

CAT UPDATE
Solomon and Parvati are back home.  Solomon has an extremely inflamed throat - I'd liken it to tonsillitis or strep throat in a human.  He is very uncomfortable and is taking morphine for the pain.  Parvati is grumpy and has an upset stomach, but is not nearly as ill as her brother.  I think we are on the road to recovery - it will just take a while.  

15 comments:

cucki said...

Sending big hugs for your kitties,.
Sweet birds
Hugs x

Vickie said...

That last hummingbird pic is AWESOME Beth!
Hugs to kitties.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Hopefully the worst is over now - it's good when things settle down after such a worrying time. Lovely photos today - they are one of nature's true jewels.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

That camera of yours is AH-MA-ZING! I'm astounded it caputured those feathers like that. Cool!

Melissa said...

Poor kitties! I hope the road to recovery won't be too long.

Thanks for the photos of the hummingbirds - they're so cool. I especially love the one where the red throat feathers are bared - never knew that before!

Giovanna said...

What great pictures - again! The last one is truly amazing.

hazel c UK said...

Such lovely photos Beth the birds are amazing.

So pleased the cats are recovering.

Hugs
Hazel c uk

Margaret said...

I love love love hummingbirds! But you already knew that. I still remember watching hummingbirds from my grandmother's livingroom in California. They are just so cool. Hope those fur babies are on the road to recovery and there is no more sickness. Poor things.

Wanda said...

Amazing hummingbird pics! Great to hear the cats are all home. Here's hoping they are better soon.

Carol said...

So sorry to hear your kitties are ill, Beth--sure hope they feel better soon... I so love your hummingbird photos! We just put up a feeder outside our kitchen window and were delighted at how quickly they found it :)

Pam in IL said...

Lovely pics of the hummingbirds.

I wish I would get morphine when I have strep throat. I can imagine just how bad that kitty feels.

Barb said...

Great hummingbird pics! I'm so glad to hear the cat family is doing better. It is so sad to see them sick when you can't tell them what is wrong. Much like having a sick baby.

Maggee said...

I did not know about the ruby throat feathers doing that either! You are such a fountain of bird information--so glad you share with us! Great pictures!

Mouse said...

love the humming birds and that red on the throat is gorgeous colour ... and hope the furbabys are much better now .... :) love mouse xxxxxx
ps watch out for the postie ;)

Heritage Hall said...

Shades of Audubon ~ What stunning
pictures... Thank you for sharing
your expertise and treats....
Gentility