Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring Stitching Spring Gardening

I got out my Easter decorations yesterday (still need to put them up).
The decorations inspired me to kit up this SamSarah Design Studio stitch "Six Eggs in a Row".  I'm going to stitch the pair on the far right.

It's Tuesday and time again for a Garden Party over at An Oregon Cottage.
This week I'm going to sing the praises of a local wholesale nursery, Log House Plants of Cottage Grove, Oregon. 

Copywrite: Log House Plants - Ornamental Cucumbers

Last Tuesday Alice Doyle, co-owner of Log House Plants spoke at the Avid Gardeners' meeting.  Her talk focused on what's new in vegetable gardening - from rediscovered heritage strains to new varieties, new flavors, new colors, and new techniques for grafting super vegetables (all non-GMO!).

She also brought several flats of early spring vegetables - all ready to plant out here in the Pacific NW.  
Early Mustards

Tah Tasi Mustard

Atlantis Brokali - no it's not mistake!  Brokali is a cross between Broccoli and Chinese Gailon.

Arugula

Super Red Mini Cabbage


Dick's Picotee Kale

Here's what I bought - "Hose in Hose" primroses.  Hose in Hose primroses have two flowers, one inside the other. The name refers to the Elizabethan habit of wearing two layers of hose under the doublet to keep out the cold.  I bought six plants two years ago - they've made nice 6"-8" mounds and are blooming like crazy.  And I won three containers of Cat Grass - great decorations for Easter.

Copywrite: Log House Plants - Butterfly Host Plants

I would encourage any flower and/or veggie gardener to take a moment or two and look at the Log House Plants website. It is an amazing resource for gardeners all over the United States.  Besides a list of retail outlets, the nursery has taken the time and effort to create a resource library of everything from Sweet Peas to Pesto, from Spring Greens to Fall and Winter Vegetable Gardening.  The library also includes timely news articles, and a list of interesting gardening blogs.  If you've had trouble lately with tomatoes, read about Grafted Tomatoes
I'd encourage you to sign up for Log House Plants' newsletter no matter where you garden.

Copywrite: Log House Plants - Garlics

12 comments:

learningtable said...

Your greens sure look like they are thriving!

Donna Heber said...

Hi Beth,

Thank you for sharing the link to Log House Plants. Sure looks like there are quite a few new vegetable varieties out there. Your "Hose in Hose" primroses are gorgeous! I will have to do a little research on these and see if they are hardy in my area. Have a great week!

Melinda said...

Non GMO plants are so hard to find! I can't wait to check out that site!

Deb said...

Love your new start! Those Hose in Hose are gorgeous!! Interesting story too!!

Deborah said...

Beautiful Easter/Spring decorating.

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Thank you for the post--those early greens look wonderful! I have some baby lettuce that I'm hardening off, hoping to plant out under plastic very soon. I will check out Log House Plants--I have been hearing about grafted tomatoes, and want to learn more about it, so thank you for the link!

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

The flowers look beautiful. I can't wait to check out the gardening site and see the new resources.

Debbie said...

PLEASE DO SHOW US ALL YOUR EASTER DECORATIONS (CROSS-STITCH) IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE THEM ALL TOGETHER!

Carol said...

Very cute piece you have on deck, Beth :)

Never heard of brokali! What will they come up with next? I just love the colors of those primroses, too...

Barb said...

Hi Beth, Six Eggs in a Row looks like a fun stitch! My very favorite nursery often has plants form Log House Plants. They always look so healthy. Thanks so much for the links. I'm hoping when I get home we'll have some quality garden time!!

Nicola said...

Hose in Hose are so pretty. There are wild primroses everywhere here at the moment. One of my favourite flowers.

Melanie said...

Early greens - YUM. Can't get enough of the greens. I'm a freak like that. lol