Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Chores

I've been working away on Heart in Hand's "Blessings".  I should be able to finish it up this weekend.  The weather is supposed to turn to rain by Friday afternoon / evening, so a perfect weekend to stay inside and stitch. 

But before the rain returns, I have a few things to do outside.  I'd like to put away this second batch of winterized (cleaned) flower pots.  And I still have a few bulbs in flower pots (from this past Winter) that I need to get into the ground.  Lastly, I'm attempting to start some Begonias from cuttings.  I've had them in a Ball Jar for a couple of weeks, but as I now have a rooting hormone, it's time to get them out of water, and into small pots, and into the green house.  

I'll leave you with a series of photos of Mosses and Lichens.

I think this lichen goes by the charming name of Blood Splattered Beard Lichen. It is found conifers in open lowland forests. 

I loved the little micro-ecosystem on this rock.  I think there are at least four different kinds of mosses and one lichen growing on its surface.

This is a lichen I'm sure, but don't know it's name...

Another nameless lichen.  My father (originally from North Dakota) has always maintained that if something stands still long enough in Oregon it will begin to grow moss / lichen.  He may be right at least as far as the western part of the state is concerned. 

This is Methuselah's Beard Lichen dangling from an Oak.  If I ever want to pretend that I'm in the Deep South, this long draping lichen is as close as I can come.  It likes open well ventilated forests - we have it down near the edge of our driveway just before it reaches the road. 

2 comments:

clob said...

hi
i love pumpkin in xxx
and this pattern is beautiful

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Your stitching is coming along nicely! I have to go clean some pots, too. Thanks for the reminder.