Friday, May 7, 2021

Birding East of the Cascades - New Faces


Design - "May"
Chart - "Spring and Fall"
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count natural linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 26 May 2014
Completed - 22 August 2014 

 While birding in Deschutes County I added a few new to me birds.

Trumpeter Swan

Black-billed Magpie

Probably the most exciting thing was seeing an active Golden Eagle Nest.

The large nest on the bottom was the active nest.

Can you see the little head on the top right?

I also first heard and then finally found a Rock Wren.

Oh my, but he was singing up a storm!

It's quite a complex song.  You can listen here.

And finally, definitively, lots and lots of Mountain Chickadees! 

Rather than a large black cap on their head, they have a black eye stripe with a white line above that, then a smaller black cap.
Good birding!

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your Robin stitch! What a fabulous birding adventure you had, Beth! That eagle's nest is fascinating.

MaryO said...

Great photos, so wonderful! Live your stitch w/the robin & daffs. Two of my mom's fave things!😃

Robin C said...

My what wonderful birds you got to see. It's so exciting. Love the Robin crossstitch. I need to look for that pattern.

Barb said...

What a wonderful birding experience. I didn't even know there were mountain Chickadees! I recognized that cute PS robin!

Unknown said...

I've only seen magpies in the UK. (The dude's football club is the magpies.) I didn't know they came in black white and blue. --annavsxs