Monday, July 10, 2017

Bees and Birds

Come summer this collection of honey jars comes out.
I decided this year to display several of my finished bee skep stitches.
I think it makes for a nice summery display.

What's up with the woodpeckers?  I'm glad you asked.

Most morning I see an adult female Downy Woodpecker. 

She is still feeder her son.

The baby boy is every bit as large as she is.

She's a good mama.

And he's a cutie.

There is an adult male Downy as well. When he comes by, these two dart off.

Here's a female Hairy Woodpecker - I think a juvenile.

An adult male Hairy Woodpecker (red low on the back of the head).

Two Hairy Woodpeckers.

I have been so worried as for several days I did not see or hear my Acorn Woodpeckers.

Just about the time I was ready to freak out, I used my binoculars to find the two birds working at their granary tree.  Since then the male has been back at the feeders a couple of times.

Female Flicker.

Here she is showing off her tail feathers.

And here's the male.

I've heard a Pileated Woodpeckers a couple of mornings slowing and loudly thunking away, but I've not yet been able to locate the bird.

12 comments:

Vickie said...

Your honey jars and bee skep stitches are wonderful Beth!

CathieJ said...

The bird pictures are wonderful. I love your bee themed display.

Justine said...

That is a lovely display Beth. The birds are putting on a good show too!

Wanda said...

I love your display Beth! Your collection of bee things and your stitched pieces are beautiful. We have had downy woodpeckers with their babies as well as a hairy woodpecker family. I always love your pictures of acorn woodpeckers and flickers. Have a great week!

Barb said...

The combination of stitched pieces and honey things looks wonderful.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

A lovely display Beth.

LaNelle said...

Beth...gorgeous display 🐝 ....woodpeckers are wonderful as well!

Paisley said...

I love your honey pots!

We have a couple of woodpeckers that come around our feeder. One is a Hairy but I believe the other might be a Downy. I love watching them.

Maggee said...

That is a perfect display for summertime! I haven't seen so many in a collection before...very cute! And all your bee stitches go nicely in and around the bee skep jars. Love all the woodpeckers. Yesterday I saw a Pileated woodpecker attacking a bunch of leaves in a tree... but it was so dark, I could not make out what was REALLY there! Also heard, then saw a Red-bellied. It was a good day! As always, thanks for sharing with us! Hugs!

arcadia said...

What a nice display ! Love the woodpeckers, never saw one in true !

MaryO said...

Beautiful collection of honey jars. Lovely stitching and the pics are fantastic.

MaryO1230

Carol said...

Your bee-themed display is wonderful! I don't know why, but I've been strangely drawn to bee charts lately. Haven't begun one yet, but I'm feeling the itch!