Friday, April 8, 2016

Friday Flash Back


Design - "Nest"
Designer - Ewe & Eye & Friends
Fabric - 30 count Pearled Barley linen
Fibers - Anchor - One strand over two threads
Started - 7 August 2011
Finished - 14 August 2011

Framed - Summer 2014

Eyelets, Rhodes, and straight stitches all contribute to the "texture" of the nest. I think it is a fitting tribute to all the many avian mothers and fathers I have watched in past Springs and Summers and hope to see this year as well. This should inspire me to get started on a bird stitch!  

So, what's up on the bird front?


The Turkey Vultures love to soak up the morning rays.

I like this view as you can see all the different layers of feathers - different colors and lengths that make up the bird.  And oh, that head!  

Bushtits!

Three of the sweet birds stopped by briefly early one evening.

And here's a new-to-me bird - a Eurasian Collared Dove.

Like Starlings, they are an 'introduced' bird that is now considered a pest.
They are larger than Mourning Doves and identified by the black 'collar' on their neck.

This pair of California Quail warily looked up to watch a hawk.

I have several 'single males looking for a good woman'.

7 comments:

Amy said...

The nest is very sweet, and the way the different stitches lend texture is clever!

I don't think I've mentioned, but I really like your new header! It's always fun to see what your new headers will look like!

Last night I took my dog for a walk at a park with a couple of tiny ponds, and saw a nesting pair of Canada geese (a good distance from the path, thank goodness) and a pair of ducks (the female was ducking under water for her dinner while the male kept watch). There are also a lot of red-wing blackbirds in that area. I love their song. I think I may have spotted a female, as well.

I'm apparently learning to enjoy bird-spotting from reading your posts! :D

Carol said...

Love your nest finish and the frame it is in, Beth. And the final photo of the bunny and quail is priceless!

Le trame della Galaverna said...

So beautiful wow

CalamityJr said...

The nest is perfect for you, and I love how you framed it.

Barb said...

the Nest is very pretty and the frame suits it well. Those turkey vultures are kind of scary looking!

Frances said...

Your nest stitching is really wonderful! I do love the texture! I haven't seen that one before!
I've never seen a bird "sunning" like the vultures--they're really soaking up the rays!

Maggee said...

Love seeing 'Nest' --it is really cute! I finished stitching the JN Bluebird Alphabet piece this week... haven't figured out how I will finish it yet! You were the inspiration to get it done! Love how tiny the beak is on the Bushtits! Just a little stub! Hugs!