Friday, October 16, 2015

A Bird Momento Mori

Design - Winter Bird Delight
Designer - Praiseworthy Stitches
Fabric - Lakeside Linen 32 count Winter Sky
Started - 31 December 2008
Completed - 15 January 2009

I stitched this during my maternal grandfather's final illness. It is special to me as we discussed the fabric, fibers and the pattern. I worked on it while visiting with him in the hospital. The muted colors reflect the quiet ending of a life well-lived.


The woodpeckers must be tired of me clicking away.  I must have over one hundred photos woodpeckers this week.  I'll subject you to only the best 20 or so. 

The Hairy Woodpeckers are turning into late afternoon / early evening feeders.

I've observed the Acorn Woodpeckers bullying them, and I hope they do not manage to drive the Hairys away.

Fortunately we have lots of snags and trees with dead tops to interest them.

The Acorns also pester the Red-breasted Sapsuckers, but the Sapsuckers seem more immune to it.

There is no battle at the feeders, as the Sapsuckers are content to work away in trees. 

They eat insects, and also drill wells in live trees to harvest sap.

They have 'typical' woodpecker bills and feet.

I wish the light had been better as they are a pretty bird.

No one has a brighter red head!

A less than wonderful photo, but I had to share it.
What on earth is the Acorn Woodpecker doing checking out one of my swallow houses?

The Acorn Woodpeckers have pretty much claimed the top of this Big Leaf Maple as theirs.

Look closely and you can see all four of my Acorn Woodpeckers!

As best I can tell there are three guys and one gal.

Junior is still a big downy fluff-ball!

This is Mama Acorn. The top of her head is red, black, and white to the bill.   

Daddy Acorn's head is red and white only. 

Right now I think they should be called Peanut Woodpeckers!

In the world of Northern Flickers, males and females seem about equal in number.

This is a female.

And this is a young male, he is just starting to 'grow' his red mustache.

They are eating insects on the ground as well as suet at the feeders.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful "tribute stitch". I love the colors. So many pieces I stitch have a special memory attached to them. Some sweet, some sad. Your bird photos are amazing. I HEAR a lot of woodpeckers around here, but I can never get a good photo of them.

Vickie said...

Winter Bird Delight is gorgeous AND special.

Threeundertwo said...

I love your pretty stitching, and these woodpecker photos are incredible! I love to hear the woodpeckers in our neighborhood.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

It is a beautiful stitch and a very dear memory
Photos are wonderful

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous finish !

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a lovely piece as a memento. The fabric colour is gorgeous too.

Your owl header looks fantastic this month as well.

Carol said...

What a special piece, Beth--it is truly beautiful on that fabric. I always find it amazing how looking at different finishes can conjure up important events in our lives...

Lovely birdies!

Mouse said...

second time of posting ... love your tribute stitch the colours are gorgeous and wow that's a lot of woodpeckers .... I have only seen one in our woods and not recently either .... must bob up again to see if I can get a photo again ...
love all the stitching you have been doing love mouse xxxx

Maggee said...

What a nice tribute stitch to your Grandfather's memory! Love the fabric color--makes the piece pop! I finally saw (and photographed) a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker!! Hopefully I will get the pics on my blog this week... Sure wish I had a bigger variety, but three is not bad for my first year! Hugs!