Thursday, September 10, 2015

Commemorating Tom-Cat with a Stitch and LOTS of birds

I kitted this up back in 2013 but never got around to working on it.  I think with Tom Cat's passing, this is the perfect project to stitch in his honor - "Chester" by The Goode Huswife. And this is the perfect time to say thank you for the many kind notes sent to me about good old Tommers.


Tom-Cat was a keen observer of birds and so would appreciate this update.
While I've not yet had large groups of Cedar Waxwings, I have had upwards of 8-12 birds. 

If one bird is good, four are even better.

Once again it appears to be a mix of adults and juveniles.

The crest on the head, the mask across the eyes, the bright yellow-tipped tail feathers - what's not to like? The kids are on the left, the adult on the right.

"I'm working on becoming handsome!"

I am glad that Cedar Waxwings are social birds.

If I hear or see them, there usually is more than one.

Speaking of more than one, how about this shot of a group of migrating hawks!  I wonder how on earth they find enough to eat as they travel in a group of  24.

Sometimes one is the perfect number.
Here's a Great Blue Heron in full flight. 

Looking right...

..and then to the left.
An American Goldfinch and Anna's Hummingbird.

And look after several weeks AWOL, I have a Lesser Goldfinch male back once again.

Scene of autumn
American Goldfinch of Teasel

Western Wood Pewee - maybe my last sighting for the year.

I've had a young Western Tanager come around several times now.

The bird is kind enough to sit tight and pose for me.

I appreciate her cooperation!

11 comments:

Margaret said...

I love that Goode Huswife piece. A good way to commemorate Tom Cat. Love all the bird pics. The one of the blue heron in flight is spectacular!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

A perfect tribute choice--it's hard to beat The Goode Huswife designs

Melody said...

I'm behind in reading blogs, but have to comment and say, I love your new header! Also like your new start. The Cedar wax wings are most impressive birds. We were out looking at a marshy area last weekend for bird sightings. We found several Great Blue Herons and was able to get some good pictures.

Vickie said...

We had a river bordering the back edge of our property at our last home. I miss the Great Blue Herons that hung out there. They ate lots of bullfrogs. ;)
Love the piece you chose for Tom Cat. I am currently stitching a Mabel. :)

Robin in Virginia said...

Lovely bird pictures! What a wonderful piece you have chosen to pay tribute to Tom Cat.

Robin in Virginia

Kate said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved furbaby :-( They do fill our lives with unconditional love, and our lives are never the same after they're gone. That's a lovely way to commemorate him. Love all the bird pics, especially the hawks and the heron. Take care.

Frances said...

Always such lovely bird photos! I do love the look of the cedar waxwings--so smooth-looking!
I love, love that Chester pattern and it is the perfect choice for you to stitch in honor of your precious kitty!

Barb said...

I love the photo of the Western Tanager. What a great tribute to Tom-Cat. Chester even looks a bit like Tom-Cat!

Carol said...

I know Tom-Cat would have approved of this sweet little piece, Beth :)

Justine said...

What a sweet tribute to your much-loved friend.

Maggee said...

That will be a lovely piece to remind you of your Tom-Cat... Hugs!