Sunday, February 8, 2015

Hummingbird Sunday

The female Anna's Hummingbirds have been hanging out in the back of the house.

Some of the favorite perches are on last year's blackberry canes. 

Not just anyone can sit on a prickly seat like this!

This tangle of blackberries provides a good view of the entire backyard and the kitchen window nectar feeder. 

The birds have two very different looks - pump and downy as shown in this series of photos, and sleek and air-streamed when at the feeders.  

I've always wanted to see a hummingbird nest.
They are an amazing amalgam of fine materials like moss and spider-webs. 

"Not going to happen!", she says.
"I'll keep my babies safe from your prying eyes." 

At least you allow me to take your photograph!

9 comments:

Margaret said...

Love hummers! I'm glad they let you take their pictures. A nest would be a rare sight indeed!

Vickie said...

You never know. You may just get a picture of a nest some day. That would be so cool.

Maggee said...

Unfortunately my lawn has been taken over in many spaces by large bits of moss, so... all I need is hummers! Great pictures!

Debbie said...

Great photos. Glad your having the hummers visit.
Our hummers have been scarce....there was a hawk sitting in the tree by my kitchen window.

Hope you're getting lots of stitching done.

Pam in IL said...

Love the hummingbirds! That one pic of the hummer straight on looks like she's blowing a kiss! I've never seen a hummingbird nest, but really want to.

Barb said...

I love those birds! When we were in Arizona last year, we visited a hummingbird garden. They described the nests and the eggs-so small.

Linda said...

Awwwww.....beautiful photos. :)

Chris said...

Amazing pics!

Carol said...

Ha ha--love the expression on the hummer in your last photo!! Looks like she's saying "Don't mess with me!!"