Monday, October 14, 2013

It's Monday Once Again

It's Monday once again...how did that happen so quickly?
I do think that my idea of marking Sunday as "Series Sunday" is working out well.  Now that I have dedicated a day of the week, I'm working on "April's Daisy" on a regular basis and making good progress.  This week I finished all the lettering and all of the small motifs - the umbrella, the basket, the final chick.  I even was able to add a couple of leaves and begin to stitch one of the daises.  I think I can get this one finished before the end of the month.

Switching from spring to fall...

I like the juxtaposition of the California Quail in the foreground with the blackberries in the background. 

I think it makes for a pretty autumnal composition.
Looking closely this seems to be my guy with the double top-knot.

I'm pretty sure the Rufous Hummingbirds have left the area, but the Anna's remain.  I know I have at least three of them as I've watched two fighting and flying while a third one looked on from a perch. 

I am now seeing House Finches once again.  I did not see them at the feeders in late summer (maybe they become insectivores for that period).  Anyway, now they are back and will spend the winter here.

My numbers of American Goldfinches have dropped, but I still have nice flocks at the feeders.  They have been joined the past week or so by a couple of Lesser Goldfinches.  

Personally, I think this time of year they are better named "Greater Goldfinches".  They still retain their bright yellow summer coloring while the American Goldfinches are now a dull brown.

12 comments:

Carol said...

Love your progress on this one, Beth! And, as always your bird photos are stunning... I do feel sorry for the poor "Lesser Goldfinch" though--do you think he has an inferiority complex?!

Giovanna said...

Nice going on April! And great bird pics as always.

cucki said...

Sweet stitches..
Happy Monday :)

Annette-California said...

Very Beautiful stitches. Love the California Quail in the blackberries....all your photos are fantastic. love Anette

Melissa said...

Beth, I love your progress on April's Daisy!

The California Quail with blackberries in the background just scream Fall Holidays shot. The plumage is amazing.

Maggee said...

LOVE the Quail pictures! Great shots!

Margaret said...

Love your April stitching! Soooo pretty! And the bird pics -- so spectacular! You are getting some great pictures!

Myra said...

Oh my goodness..those bird pics are fabulous. Your April stitch looks wonderful too.

Pam in IL said...

I'm loving the progress on April's Daisy!

Beautiful birds visiting your feeders and yard too! I just saw a male House Finch the other day after not seeing any most of the summer.

Barb said...

I really like the stitching! Your bird photos are wonderful. We still have a little Annas at the feeder.

Mouse said...

oooo think you will manage it :) lovely stitching and gorgeous shots of the birds too ...
really need to have some bird time too ..lol love mouse xxxxx

linda said...

I so enjoy the bird pictures. I too like the quail with the blackberries. Would make a ice stitching design.